Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 17 June 2012

York

On Friday I went up to York for the Quilters Guild Treasurers Training Day. I had planned to go earlier and use the additional time to measure the Guild's Sanderson Star quilts, but was delayed by work. I'll have to do this at another time - either in August or October. (I'm also hoping to go to Beamish as well).

I had planned to spend the afternoon walking around York, but there was a violent storm which trashed my umbrella! So after checking in at the guesthouse, I went to Evensong at the Minster.


York Minster is an imposing place and very large as cathedrals go. Evensong is a sung service, and very beautiful - York has an excellent choir. When I was at Durham I often went to Evensong and enjoyed this very much. The only difference is that 30 years ago, the choir was made up of men and boys - today's choirs are made up of girls and men - no boy singers in evidence. The service was held behind this screen.



York has some lovely stained glass. There is a lovely bell founders window which shows how the  bells were cast - given about 1330.

 The vaulted ceiling is magnificent.

 York has many old buildings - here is the famous "Shambles" - formerly the street of butchers, where goods were displayed on shelves facing out onto the street front. You can see how wet the weather was that day.

We had a meal out in Goodram Street at La Piazza - very busy, as there was a racing meeting going on.


Here is the former St Johns College building - it used to be the student centre with a cafe for students but I suppose that has moved elsewhere. As I walked back to the guest house, I could hear a great shout go up over the town - I guess that England had scored a goal against Sweden...

Once again I stayed at the Abbeyfields Guesthouse at 19 Bootham Terrace, near to the station and Minster. The owners Les and Al are very helpful.

The room was quiet and comfortable.

Our meeting the next day was useful - I found out those things that I had done that I ought not to have done, and those things that I had not done that I ought to have done (to quote the Evensong).

The books for last year's accounts were chosen for audit - they came back with no comments so apparently that means that they are alright.....

I will show photos of a quilt that was brought for us to look at in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment