Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 10 June 2012

Pink Corded Cot Quilt - 1940's

Here is another article of corded quilting that I purchased last week. Corded quilting was popular in the post war years. It made an elegant item for the house with less work than a wholecloth or patchwork item. The patterns were transferred to the cloth with commercial patterns.

This quilt was bought from Marjorie B in Lancashire - it was made for her when she was a baby by her mother, Ethel Allen. Ethel was an "outstanding needleworker" and enjoyed embroidery, sewing and other crafts. As well as making items for her family, items also went to friends and relatives in the UK and abroad. Other items included tablecloths, tray mats and embroideries. The stitches are neat and even.


Some of Ethel's projects remained unfinished.  It is nice to have this larger example of corded quilting. The size is  26 x 38 " and the fabric is a silky satin-like fabric in a pale pink colour. The item has been well used to judge from the back.  The wadding is a thick soft fabric filling. There is a surrounding frill to the cot quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment