Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 9 April 2012

Blue Welsh Single Quilt

Here is a little Welsh quilt that I bought recently. It is either a large cot quilt or a small single quilt! It is done in a rather "country" fashion, and is attractive in a naive sort of way....

The design is a simple one, there is a flower/four lobed design in the centre, then there are church windows around the outside. A bought edging completes the quilt.

The size of this quilt is 45 x 60 inches, and the colour is a pale lilac or blue colour.


Many frills are made from a doubled piece of fabric, but here a bought edging has been used. Either the fabric has faded, or the edging did not match exactly! The quilt material is an artificial satin, probably a rayon material.



The quilt is filled with carded wool, and the stitching although effective, is none too carefully done. The effect is a rustic one, which is what Welsh quilts are all about, so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment