Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Saturday 6 August 2011

Pink and Yellow Welsh Quilt

Here is a nice cotton sateen Welsh quilt in yellow/light gold and pale pink. In this case, the quilt was stitched from the yellow side. Looking at the stitches of the quilting, the yellow side is flatter and the stitches neater although very small and widely spaced. The pink side was the lower side in the frame as the stitches are a bit more irregular and the fabric is more puffy on this side. However the thread used is pink, so perhaps the pink side was meant to be the best side ? - or perhaps, pink thread was just what thread the quilter had to hand.



This quilt measures 80 x 86 inches and has wool wadding inside. This is a very heavy quilt. It is in very good condition with no signs of wear. It dates to the 1900's and probably comes from South Wales although there is no provenance.


Lots of spirals on this quilt - you can see that the centre medallion is a very large spiral surrounded by a star device with more spirals infilling the areas. Also seen are welsh hearts which are usually taken to mean a wedding quilt - I wonder if this is true in this case?





There is a border of triangles with spirals and then an outer border of diamond crosshatching.






Another view of the heart and outer borders.





The yellow or light gold side of the quilt....






Fans with a spiral infill in corners of the central field.....






Comparison of back and front - the edges are neatly hand stitched in the Welsh manner.The quilt was probably made by a professional quilter. A lovely wholecloth quilt.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, it's a lovely quilt! One question, Pippa: both sides seem to be pieced to get the right sizes of fabric. Is it done by hand or machine? It looks like a machine seam...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As is usual, the lengths of fabric are peiced together by machine. Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting... A few years ago I entered a handquilted wholecloth in an international quilt competition. The judges critized that I pieced the lengths of fabric by machine and not by hand. We all have different views! :)

    ReplyDelete