Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 8 August 2011

New Purchase - Corded Cushion

Here is a recent purchase, a cushion cover from Ammanford in Wales. This item features corded or "Italian" quilting, where stitched channels are stuffed with wool to make a raised pattern.

The cover is 21 x 21 inches and is of a rose or dusty bronze colour. The design shows a pot of flowers, and the whole is surrounded by a frill.



According to the Quilters Guild book "Quilt Treasures" corded quilting is of Middle Eastern origin and was very popular in the 17th century. There was a revival of corded quilting in the 1920's and 30's and a number of cushions were seen at the documentation days, including some made from kits. This pattern looks a bit more homegrown, featuring roses (perhaps from a template?) with some stems and foliage, atop a rather Welsh-looking fan.



On the back, you can see how the wool has been inserted in the channels of stitching between the "satin" and a backing cloth to form the ridges. I wonder if this is an artificial fibre - there were artifical silks and satins from this time...

Pots of flowers as a design have been a talking point - urns or pots of flowers were of course popular in applique - I'm thinking of Baltimore Album quilts...but were also a popular quilting pattern in the earlier, elaborate Welsh quilts. Jen Jones has several early quilts with urns of flowers and Susan L. has been looking at the quilting designs on the Starfish Quilt (owned by the Quilt Assocaiation in Llanidloes) which features pots of flowers. My quilting samples from Devon also include one which has a pot of flowers, seemingly part of the revival from the 20's and 30's.

The seller said that this cushion cover was over 100 years old, dating it to about 1910. The seller said that the maker was her father's aunt who had lived all her life in Ammanford. Both the maker and her mother were keen needlewomen (amateur). Under this cover she discovered more covers! but those were embroidered on crepe, not quilted. There are three or four other corded cushion covers in the sellers possession, with different designs but not all in good condition. I am trying to find out the name of the maker.

An interesting item, and the first I have of this type of quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment