Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 19 August 2011

Group Quilts at FOQ

Here is the winning group quilt at FOQ - Mere Kats. Everyone loved this quilt, which had references to a well known advertising campaign here in the UK, Comparethemarket.com -e.g. comparethequilt.com. Made by a group of eight from Chester.

This quilt constantly had crowds surounding it and was very popular. I enjoyed seeing the group march up to receive their award from Kaffe Fasset ( who didn't do a very good job of the prize giving - why do they go for these "names" when it could have been done so much better by someone else?)




Another interesting group quilt made after the"Quilt of Crosses" by Lucy Boston. Made by the Allington Quilters, Durham from Liberty fabrics using paper piecing. Silk wadding!! Very colourful.



Stree Shaki (Women's Power) hand applique, made by group of seven from Tiverton, Devon - a quilt on Village Life inspired by the Madhubani art style. This is only one portion of the quilt. I liked the blue background and the lively figures.




A quilt by the East Surrey Branch Embroiderers Guild, Reigate Surrey - "Indian Inspiration". Hand dyed background stitched in kantha style with applied elephant motifs, lavishly decorated in hand and machine stitch. Very colourful.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pippa,

    I know you will receive some educated and intelligent comments from other quilters but from me: I LOVE THE ELEPHANTS!! on the last 2 quilts.

    Just beautiful.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pippa
    So glad someone else shared my view of Kaffe's presenting skills. To be fair to him though, they could have given him the list to practice some of those names!
    I loved the Meercats quilt & having just moved from Australia to London a month ago I had seen the ads so it was even funnier.
    Wasn't I lucky to fluke arriving just in time for such a terrific quilt show?
    Cheers
    Lush x

    ReplyDelete