Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 4 March 2012

Corded Quilting Pattern

Some time ago, I blogged about these corded or Italian quilted pillow covers from Wales. I thought that these were made from patterns but wasn't sure.



I can now show an example of the type of patterns that were available after the war. The trend was to make small projects, and to use a pattern - which were readily available, and inexpensive. This little magazine is by Penelope, and contains designs which are very similar to the one on the cushion above. I have seen another book which contains different corded patterns, so evidently there were several pattern books available.




A picture of the clever seamstress of the day...




The owner of this booklet evidently took a class in quilting, as there is a sheet of class notes....I suppose that after the war, quilting had ceased to be a practical skill and had become a leisure activity; the object was to make a beautiful object for the house and picking out a pattern with clear instructions was vital, as skills had been forgotten by most women at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment