Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 13 September 2011

Green Floral Welsh Wholecloth Quilt

This is a typical Welsh wholecloth - plain pink on one side and a handsome green floral on the other side. It was purchased in North Wales at auction so no history.


The quilt, which dates from the 1900's, measures 70 x 79 inches. The floral side is a bit whiskered and the pink side, though in better condition, is faded in places. Otherwise in good condition, with wool wadding inside



The central medallion has beech leaves surrounded by a twist.




The reverse and the floral side. Patterns seen include a four leaf pattern and lined squares.


The pink side of the quilt. You can see a three leaf design has been used to frame the central medallion.




Detail of the stitching - in the centre of this photo you can see where one line of stitching has come loose.





The edge of the quilt with its hand sewn edge. Can you see how the quilter had to adapt the size of the quilting motif to fit the space? Definitely getting smaller and smaller....


A typical Welsh wholecloth with an attractive print fabric and some nice stitching.

1 comment:

  1. The designs on this one look especially freehand - nice and bold too.

    ReplyDelete