Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Saturday 31 May 2014

Durham Quilt Fenham Sunderland

Here is a beautiful quilt that was made by a church sewing bee in Fenham, Sunderland. Sunderland seems to have been a "hotbed" of quilting with lots of quilters and quilting groups.


The quilt came from the collection of another collector, who lived in the area and was also a member of the Quilters Guild. The quilt has never been used and remained folded up so has some creases...but you can see the nicely done designs.

The centre is a design that I have never seen before, it looks like a closely quilted lovers' knot....very attractive!

And here is another design that I have not seen before, I'm not sure what to call this one.... goose wing?
The border has a nice twist with fans in the corners. The quilt has a deep frill on all four sides. This quilt measures and the colours are pink and a dark gold. the blue pencil marknings are to be seen on one side, it looks as if it has never been washed....

Here you can see the corner and the two colours - pink and gold. The quilt measures 69" x 90" and the frill another 6". Interesting how the frill is made in two colours to match the tops. Said to be a marriage quilt,  but this is a common claim. However, later quilts do seem to be a traditional wedding gift, often received and then not used, but kept in a drawer.

1 comment:

  1. This is really an interesting piece. The quilted lover's knot is outstanding! The unusual design in the second border reminds me a little to the goose tail shown in Amy Emms' book about Durham quilting - but it's not paired like this one. Thank you for sharing, Pippa!

    ReplyDelete