Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 11 May 2012

Post WWII Quilting patterns

I have been buying these post war books of quilting patterns recently - there seem to be a whole series and I only have a few so far. Post war, the emphasis seemed to change away from making bed quilts to instead, making smaller beautiful items for the house decor. Pattern books and classes were the starting point.

I still have not found the book with the exact patterns seen in my corded cushions - but some of these are clearly very similar. especially the Penelope patterns.


These books presented attractive photos of the patterns and also gave exact instructions on how to make the item. The next step was to buy a transfer of the desired pattern, so that the markings could be ironed onto the cloth. This could be the right side of the fabric, for embroidery or quilting, or the reverse side, for corded quilting. Of course this sent me off to my corded cushions - success! There are the tell tale blue marks of a transfer having been used on the reverse side, a rather coarse white cotton - so I can definitely say that commercial patterns were used in their making.

I have nearly finished the quilting of my Piilani Hawaiian quilt - only the binding to do. But I have to leave that for the moment - my next project is to make 17 hanging sleeves for the Durham quilts and the remaining Welsh quilts. I am planning to make them in prepared for dyeing fabric and then dye them a matching colour with my Procion dyes - I thought that would be quicker than searching for a matching fabric. Of course a serious washing will be needed to remove all traces of dye!!

No comments:

Post a Comment