Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.

Tuesday 12 May 2020

Quilts April & May 2020

Well, I have been busy during lockdown, as I am still working online from home with cloud accounts.
I have also been clearing the garden, which has been much neglected. As the rubbish tips are closed just now, there is a huge heap of plant material in one corner of the yard.

Here is the mariners compass - it was sent off to Daisy May Quilting in Martlesham Heath. I chose a paisley quilting pattern to match the vintage and modern paisley fabrics. I also added a red paisley binding. I am pleased with the way this turned out. I originally was hand piecing it, but reverted to machine piecing. I used Ruth McDowell's piecing methods, whereby you sew on the marked seam line, and match registration marks, this method works well for me.

I found this pattern to be sufficiently challenging as well as very attractive, and during lockdown decided to make a second quilt using a different colour scheme (all fabrics already in my stash). This time the top was entirely machine pieced. The quilting design I chose was Tiki, which is a triangular spiral design. Again, I was pleased with this quilt.

During lockdown I have been trying to prepare quilts as much as possible, as I don't have very much free time when I am working. So I have cut out and basted two Hawaiian quilts. This one is Kunawai. The most difficult part is arranging it carefully on the background fabric after cutting out.

I also prepared this pattern - Ulu, a pattern by Elizabeth Akana. For the first time, I "posterized" the design to make it the size I wanted. It was a learning curve, and next time I would change it to a light grey colour, as with black the print cartridge was used up at a fantastic rate. Or, choose an outline! But it worked...

I was able to cut the pattern out and baste.. I will mark the complicated parts once I have located my Sewline pen, which seems to be hiding...or may have to order a new one, as I seem to have plenty of lead refills but no pen....

I am still quilting - Kiku Nut is almost finished, and I basted and started to quilt the orange and purple quilt Umeke O Kamehameha. Of course, no Festival of Quilts this year, so no urgency to get them finished!

1 comment:

  1. These are all beautiful pieces. I've got a stack ready for hand quilting and have just sent one off for marking. I think we will be home all winter!