Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 6 February 2019

St Fagans Miners Cottages

Rhyd-Y-Car Terrace
Possibly the most iconic buildings to be seen at St Fagans is this row of miners' cottages. These were built about 1800, in Merthyr Tydfil. It was then the largest town in Wales, and the world leader in iron production - a boom town. The houses were built by an iron master to house his workers.
 

These cottages were better quality than many in Merthyr. Built of stone, they were one up and one down, with a small extension to the back. A small circular stairs led upstairs to a small room. By 1891 the houses were considered outdated, but people were reluctant to leave. In 1935 the local authoirty condemned the terrace. Finally in 1979 a flood brought the terrace to a sad end. They were dismantled and moved to St Fagans in 1982-83. The cottages have been refurnished in a variety of different periods.
1985
1985
1985
Pidgeon loft from the 1960's
Other cottages were furnished as 1925,1895,1855 and 1805. Can you guess which?






 





Garden allotments
1805

1805

No comments:

Post a Comment