Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 16 December 2016

Yellow and White Sanderson Star Quilt

,Here is another Sanderson Star quilt - this time in yellow and white cotton sateen. It measures 80 x 86" and came from another quilt historian's collection. The quilt was bought at one of Christie's textile auctions some years ago, where there were great stacks of quilts. These sales of textiles there have now been discontinued. So, as you can guess, this quilt has no provenance, except that it is a true North Country quilt.

The quilt has been well used and the sateen has a lovely softness. You will note that the colours are reversed....the star is white and the background is yellow. Pauline Adams has a theory that if you cut out two layers of cloth (one light and one dark) with all the patchwork pieces of the centre star, that once you swapped them about, you would have the makings of two quilts with very little wastage and less trouble - with one light star on a darker background and the other a dark star on a light background. Whether this actually happened, we do not know but it seems at least a possibility!


The centre of the star - Rose in a Ring and ferns...the corner squares also have a design....this seems to be a later quilt, one can only judge by the quilting patterns...


The corners of the borders are also turned (on older quilts this was not done)...


An interesting way to turn a corner....


Corner with a rose design....


The backing is a plain white sateen...


A very attractive quilt which I am pleased to have, it has already made an outing to one of my quilt talks

No comments:

Post a Comment