Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 13 May 2013

Walk at Tattingstone on May Bank Holiday

For our usual weekly walk, we went to Tattingstone and Stutton on the bank holiday Monday. Here is Tattingstone church - this tower had five bells and then was augmented to six with a spare bell. This was done by local volunteers. Unfortunately, the new bell is almost the same note as the second, giving the ring a very odd sound - hence the nickname "Tatty" bells. Moving one's eyes right along the horizon, one can see what appears to be another church...
...this is the "Tattingstone Wonder", a folly. It was built in 1790 by Edward White, who lived at the nearby Tattingstone Place. The story goes that he wanted to see a church from his house windows. He said that "People often wondered at nothing, so he would give them something to wonder about".


The folly looks like a church, having a tower and flint rendering, but is actually three workers' cottages that were disguised to look like a church.

From the back of the house one can see that the so-called tower is actually a built up chimney stack. The folly is now a grade II* building and has been converted into a single residence.


The garden of the Tattingstone Wonder - I liked the old car, the greenhouse and the childs bicycle....


...and finally Snowy, found sleeping where she should not be....my Hawaiian applique in its Ikea bag!

2 comments:

  1. I really like these well-fortified-looking buildings in your country! Thank you for posting the pictures. And obviously Snowy found the perfect place for a little nap...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love when you share your adventures in the countryside.
    I too carry my quilts in an Ikea bag when working in them.

    ReplyDelete