Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 15 April 2011

Trip to York

On Tuesday, I was up early to drive into Ipswich, park the car, dash across town and then catch the train to York - the purpose, a committee meeting of the British Quilt Study Group. The trains were all OK and by lunchtime I was walking across York towards the Quilt Museum that is also the headquarters of the Quilters Guild. York Minster is one of the most spectacular cathedrals in the UK, but no time to visit! I wanted to get some time to visit the Avril Colby exhibit!
Here's the old guild hall which is now home to the Quilt Museum - I just wish it was better signposted - I knew what I was looking for, and approximately where it was - but only one small sign ( its behind that red car) told me where to enter. I think they need a large banner to tell the tourists that it is there!!


The Colby exhibition was very interesting, and I was able to have a chat with Margaret Nichol, who is the outgoing Treasurer. We were both interested to have a close look at the Colby quilts - exquisite workmanship. Margaret was very amused to see that one small quilt was an assessment piece to allow Colby to participate in a WI needlework programme - hardly a practice piece and again with very fine work. The silk button hole stitching on the broderie perse quilt was especially fine and even, it was hard to believe that it was done by hand.


Then it was off to the Bar Convent for the committee meeting - this is an old convent which is now a museum, tearoom and hotel. Here is the chapel.


There was quite a lot to discuss - the Quilt Studies journal currently being printed, the newsletter -Culcita, the forthcoming seminar at Grenygog in Wales in late October, and the BQSG/Quilters Guild exhibition in 2012. I did not realise that there was so much planning involved in a quilt exhibition, or that the lead in time was so long!


Finally we checked into our rooms and went out for an evening meal. I really enjoyed meeting the other committee members - what a wealth of expertise and experience. The Minster bells were ringing for practice night, what a glorious sound. They are considered one of the best, if not the best, ring of bells in the UK - very rewarding to ring.


Then on Wednesday morning it was back to Ipswich. Here is another cathedral en route - Ely Cathedral, with its famous octagonal towers. No bells here - one of the few cathedrals with no ring of bells.



I have layered up the sawtooth diamond quilt - here it is in the frame. You can see that it is basted with safety pins and that I have started to quilt. I noticed that one small stretch of cloth escaped being marked - will have to trace onto tissue and then transfer the markings to the cloth.


I will hold the draw for the give away on Sunday night and will let you know the results later. Many thanks for all your support during the year.

3 comments:

  1. The first time I saw York Minster was when I was in England in 2005. My aunt and uncle had picked us up from Manchester off the flight from NZ, and after a snooze and lunch they took us to York. We walked up onto the walls and rounded a corner and there was the Minster in all its glory towering over the inner city. It was spectacular and a memory I will always keep. When we come back later this year we will go back to York and hopefully I may even get a ring of those magnificent bells, as well as drag hubby to the quilt museum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures and area are so wonderful. Love (!)the red and white quilt. ~ Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping to get along to see the Averil Colby exhibit at the weekend on my way back from Teesside - alas, just couldn't fit it in :-( It must have been very interesting to see. I wish the Quilt Museum could afford to have little catalogues of every exhibition, for those of us who can't always get to them! That would be a real luxury.

    Lovely to see your quilt on the frame too.

    ReplyDelete