Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 1 November 2011

Quilt Museum at Lampeter - 2

Here are some more photos taken at the Jen Jones Welsh Quilt Centre, Old Town Hall, Lampeter. As before, I am not including too much information. I would strongly encourage you to buy the catalog (available in English or Welsh), which contains more information on these quilts, from http://www.jen-jones.com/. There will also be a DVD available soon, which will have photos of all three exhibitions, together with more detailed commentary on a few of the quilts.

Patchwork quilt from Ammanford, dated 1893.



Handkerchief quilt, Carmarthenshire about 1900.



Display which includes a pink and blue patchwork from the Lampeter area, 1920's.



A beautiful red and white strippy - it won a prize for May Thomas of Llanelli in 1901. This quilt was another that had to be sent off to a conservator for cleaning - Jen said that it was returned with a little packet containing the removed dirt and grime.




The Treaga family immigrated to Pennsylvania, so this quilt has definite American overtones although the quilting is pure Welsh.



Patchwork quilt with appliqued hearts.



Basket quilt, mid Wales.




Applique quilt made in 1890's by Catherine James.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing the quilts Pippa. Like the quilt with the hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for letting us know about the upcoming DVD...
    The hand quilting in the red and white strippy takes my breath away...gorgeous texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I became completely in love with the red and white strippy quilt! The patterns are so simple but just striking! The combination of the Welsh pears (is this the right pattern name?) and the spirals is perfect. I am sure I will use this in one of my quilts some day. Thank you for posting the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! These are so wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. simply breathtakingly beautiful...i too am a ruth mcdowell fan; it seems she is retiring from teaching fairly soon...sorry i never got to take one of her classes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for these posts about your trip! The quilts are almost beyond what words can describe - so much to see and study:) I will be on the lookout for details of next year's exhibition. It is on my wishlist for places to go next year. Take care, and thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a treat to see these quilts. The red striped one with the Pennsylvania-like motifs...do you mean that the family made that quilt in PA and was it then returned at some point to Wales? And was the last one made in Wales? It also looks Pennsylvania-y.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, as I understand it many Welsh people moved to PA for the mining work - there were people returning from the US as well - so there must have been patterns exchanged - also blocks sent - also quilt tops. Quilts may have been brought back too - however this quilt may have been a top or may have been a pattern as the quilting is in the Welsh stlye. I understand that Dorothy Osler's book out next month will look closely at the settlement patterns of the Welsh in the US and relate those to the Amish communities.Pippa

    ReplyDelete