Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 7 November 2011

Welsh Woven Blankets at the Quilt Museum

Before I show you the quilts from the Minerva Centre, I just thought that I would show you the woven woollen blankets that were on display in a side room of Jen Jones' Quilt Museum. The shop has been selling A LOT of blankets recently - more than quilts - and Hazel from the shop thought that some of the blankets from the collection should also be on display. Some of these blankets have clear similarities with the Welsh quilts. Or is it that the quilts mimic the blankets? At one time, there were many, many local mills in Wales producing woollen fabrics and woven blankets. A few still survive.


Woven blanket commemorating Canaervon Castle and the University of Wales. Notice the woven leeks in the border!!






A woven blanket that has similar borders and patches to a quilt - and also looks rather Amish, if you ignore the brown colour (not a favorite colour in the conservative communities) .






Woven coverlet - looks like the patterns that my grandmother used to weave on her loom - and notice the borders again.





Stack of older woven blankets - these were woven on narrow looms, thus have a seam down the middle where two widths were joined together. Very collectible now.



The price of these Welsh blankets has shot up recently - they are nice to have on a bed and do look very cosy. As long as you use them and keep moving them, moths shouldn't be a problem.

1 comment:

  1. More beautiful quilts and blankets.

    Thank you Pippa.

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete