Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 8 November 2011

Quilt Association, Minerva Centre, Llanidloes

After my visit to the Quilt Museum, I retraced my steps, back to Llanidloes, where there was a special display of quilts put on for the members of the British Quilt Study Group. I am a member of the Quilt Association and had been here twice before, most notably, for the workshop on fabric dating with Philip Sykas.

There were some great quilts on display.


Quilt made of suiting samples - made by Mrs Gethin of Cwm Belan near Llanidloes. there were several woollen mills in and around Llanidloes.
I think this was my favorite!!



Detail of centre, wholecloth quilt - in boxy Carmarthenshire style.





This quilt is faded and a brown colour now, but would originally been a mauve colour.





Military quilt, made from army uniform fabrics. From the Thomas family in S Wales. It was made by a relative in the Talgarth area, where there was a convalescent home for soldiers. No backing, these were often used as tablecloths or throws.








Applique quilt in red and white, made near Llanidloes. This quilt is all in standard applique, there is no reverse applique.


Bowtie quilt made in woollen fabrics - made mid 19th c in Mid Wales.





Tracing of the Starfish quilt. This quilt was bought at auction and came from the Haverfordwest area. It is much older than previously thought (possibly 1840s) and is a high status object. The fabrics include worsted wools for the front, some callendered and moireed, with linen as the backing. Very elaborate quilting designs, including baskets of flowers. This photo shows the tracing hanging in front of the quilt. Led by Pauline Adams, it took three ladies a weekend to complete the tracing, and is on medium weight polythene (horticultural grade) with a permanent marker. See an earlier post for more details if you are interested in this technique of tracing quilt patterns.

Susan Levett is currently writing a paper on this quilt, which will be presented to the BQSG next year.



The Quilt Association has a summer exhibition, which combines antique quilts with modern quilt makers' work. It runs from July through to September. Next year I will be lending quilts from my collection and am pleased to be able to do this. All I have to do next is to decide which ones!

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your quilts displayed at Llanidloes next year.

    Love those suitings quilts. I must make a modern equivalent sometime, though I probably won't be using suiting, just dark cottons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the best posts! That tracing is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for posting some amazing pics, of amazing quilts!

    ReplyDelete