Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 1 February 2011

Red and Blue Flannel quilt - More Photos


Today, I thought that I would post some more photos of the red and blue flannel quilt - to show the quilting designs and detail more clearly. This is a wonderful quilt, and clearly has never been used. You can see that the quilting is simple but effective - a central sunburst is surrounded by a spiral scroll and corner fans. Then there are borders of church windows infilled with chevrons and spirals. At the outer edge is a simple twist.



Another look at the church windows and the corner fan.



The colours are a bright red (which doesn't photograph as well) and a royal blue. The quilting thread is blue - so the blue must have been the right side - but was it quilted from this side (hard on the eyes!) ? Just went to have a look - its hard to tell, but it looks as if the quilting was done with navy thread from the red side.

This is a heavy quilt - I would guess that there is no filling? The two woollen fabrics would be quite heavy in their own right.



A detail of one corner, and the simple twist used there.




Another detail of the spiral infill .






Deatil of the central "coin".




The two fabrics contrast well....



A close up of the flannel fabric - it is woven , but has a teased, brushed surface - it is not a felted fabric.

6 comments:

  1. A truly work of art and a beautiful quilt--cottonreel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful to have found your blog. The quilts you post are so amazing, I love hand quilting and hand applique so to know that you are a looking after these pieces from the past AND creating new ones, well, it's such a pleasure to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you made one of these delightful quilts? I know you collect them and try to trace the patterns. Have you published any of the patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robin, I have not made one of these flannel quilts but I would like to ...one problem is that the wool flannel is very hard to source and apart from the Woollen Museum, is not made in this country anymore. I have traced about 25 of the more interesting quilts on to polythene - a very time consuming process. My son is currently tutoring me to use Vector Works, a professional graphic drawing program - it will allow me to scan, redraw, resize and publish the patterns. So I hope to do this in 2011 - at least that is the plan! Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the pictures, Pippa! I haven't seen Welsh Quilts in blue very often, the more I love this one! I really want to do something like this one day...

    ReplyDelete