Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 30 January 2011

More Photos of Zany Quilt

Here are more photos of the Geometric quilt with the zany centre. The quilt was made by Mrs.Annie Davies who lived above a drapers shop on Chalybeate St. in Aberysthweth.

A photo of the quilt where you can see the quilting patterns, mostly sprials and chevrons. Although a scrap quilt, it is symmetrically arranged in a medallion format.
The quilting is sturdy but obviously Welsh.The wadding is carded wool.


The zany, purple print fabric used in the central pinwheel. The stripes are pieced, and the quilter has not used striped fabric.

Another photo of the central portion of the quilt.


The fabrics used are sateen (pink) and a strange shiney, ribbed fabric (beige). I wonder what sort of fabric it is - not dimity, perhaps a calendered fabric or dress fabric?


The reverse of the quilt, where the quilter ran out of one fabric and substituted another red paisley along one side.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing; really great shots of the quilting. Pieced stripes, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any idea of a rough date? The blue/purple print in the centre is interesting - almost has a 1950s vibe to it, or even 60s, but it can't be - can it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other quilt by the same quilter, Mrs Annie Davies, is on page 95 of Jen's book, and the caption to that reads "Unusual abstract design in psychedelic colours made c 1910 by Mrs Annie Davies in her flat above a drapers shop in Chaleabite Street, Aberystwyth, Cardiganshire. This lady supplied quilts to various shops in the local area." So I assume this one is about the same date, the purple fabric does look 50's but I think it is sort of art deco-ish - resembles the simplified "earth flowers" that one sees then...interesting to note that the quilting designs are similar in Jen's quilt, save for a little twist along the edge on that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just looking back at this post after seeing the pics of the quilts set up for the exhibition at Quilter's Haven. The red and green are the Aberystwyth University colours, and the pieced stripes in the centre really remind me of my 1930s uni blazer & scarf! How red/green do you think they once were?

    ReplyDelete