Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 18 February 2011

Welsh Green and Yellow Quilt - Unusual Patterns


Here is a Welsh quilt with rather atypical quilting designs. The size is 70 x 82 inches and the stitching is of very good quality. Unfortunately, I was promised some further information about the quilt, which never arrived - various excuses - I never knew what happened and finally had to give up on it. However, the designs are of interest; the colour combination is the ever popular green and gold.




The outer borders are unusual for a Welsh quilt - they include swags plus a double scale or clamshell pattern infill.



There are more typical fans with some nice echo quilting.





The centre is formed by smaller swags, with diamond infill.





In the corner , you can see a striking leaf or fleur de lys. The colours in this photo are more lifelike - a strong green and a strong gold. It also shows the fine stitching.

The reverse of the quilt, in green. The yellow thread shows through nicely on this side.

A bit of a puzzle, this quilt, I only wish that I had received the details that were promised to me.

4 comments:

  1. Not sure why this quilting really stuck me. But these "patterns" are beautiful. Thank you for sharing the pictures. Hopefully one day we will try a small part on a special quilt we make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt. I've been looking for sateen here in the states. It is really hard to come by. I couldn't get that pale pink quilt you showed here out of my mind so I bought some pink (pale flesh actually) Kona cotton today for a future ruffled project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pippa - another lovely quilt! Any idea of the vintage? It looks thinner and flatter than some Welsh quilts you've shared, but I assume the batting is wool?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making such quilts is exactly what I want to do for the rest of my life...Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete