Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 11 February 2011

Pink Welsh Quilt with Frill



This is a wholecloth quilt in a light pink cotton sateen, with frills to all sides. The wadding is carded wool, and the stitching is good. The size is 78 x 82 inches.



The central coin is of four beech leaves, surrounded by twists and spirals. There is the crank design - four lobed motif - but also seen here is a motif of four hearts touching, to form a flower. Hearts on a Welsh quilt are commonly supposed to signify a wedding quilt, but actually, the heart is not an uncommon design in Welsh quilts.



On the outside border is a small spiral design. Again,one can see the four lobed design and the hearts design. The frill is 4 inches wide, of matching double fabric.



Unfortunately, the frill is worn in some places and looks quite tatty. Some would repair or replace - but I would rather keep it "as is".


Corner of the quilt, again showing the nice quilting. This would have been a very feminine quilt - what a pleasure to have, it was someone's favorite, I'm sure.

No provenance on this quilt - it came from a dealer in Swansea, who bought both from the public and at auctions.

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet quilt. It makes me want to make one just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep coming up with great quilts! I just love these - even the hearts, which I normally don't care for. The folkiness of them makes them sweet, but not too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful quilt... I really love these simple, but expressive patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more I look at these quilts the more I want to do reproductions of them - just to keep this wonderful craft of handquilting and the beautiful patterns alive! :-)

    ReplyDelete