Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 18 July 2010

Welsh Wedding Quilt - 1953 Brechfa


































This quilt was made by a Miss Jones of Ty Mawr, Brecfa, for Mrs Margaret Davies of Horeb for her wedding in 1953, and has been stored ever since. It still has the original name tag from Miss Jones. The quilt has been exhibited in Brecfa, where it received much local attention. Miss Jones was renowned for her quilting skills in the area and her work much sought after. I bought the quilt from Jane Beck in Tregaron.

I think a bit of research could provide a complete name for Miss Jones as well as more information. I contacted another dealer who lives in Brechfa, Geoffrey, and he wrote -" Hi Pippa. Ty Mawr is now a small hotel. It was an apartment for old ladies before. I have asked a couple of people but as yet no name for her. The ones that may have known have recently passed away. "

The quilt is made of royal blue cotton sateen with traditional Carmarthenshire patterns. The reverse is a pretty floral design with a white ground, blue flowers and a dark trellis. The stitching is with cream thread. The designs are geometric designs around a central motif, spirals with quartered diamonds.

This quilt is made with lovely stitching by a very experienced quilter using traditional patterns. My feeling is that the state of quilting was perhaps a bit healthier in Wales than Durham after the war, with good quilts being made in the customary way as special occasion gifts. I guess that by 1953, fabrics were available again. However the quilt was never used and perhaps the era of the quilt as an everyday bedcover had passed - it was a special gift that was to be cherished and admired but not used.

1 comment:

  1. What a treasure! I love this quilt very, very much because blue is my favourite color. I do my wholecloths in the same way: the top is a solid color and the backing I always use a nice matching flower print. Thank you so much for sharing, Pippa!

    ReplyDelete