Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 13 July 2010

Hawaiian Quilt - Very Nearly Finished











Here is my Hawaiian Quilt - I am sewing on the binding and then will put on the sleeve and a label. I am using a double binding cut on the straight grain, I find this the most satisfactory treatment. I had a bit of a panic, I wasn't sure that there was enough fabric left to make a double binding. It is nearly impossible to match plain coloured fabrics, especially as the cloth is a brand which is not available in this country, having been bought on one of my trips to Florida. I was considering the alternatives - but luckily, after careful measuring I calculated that there was enough fabric to make 4" strips - a bit narrower than my usual 4 1/2" strips but near enough! This will result in a 3/4" finished binding.
The quilt has to be posted off to the Festival of Quilts soon (to arrive by the 30th July), so I am glad to be making good progress on it. The most difficult process is to defur the quilt - I have to do this with sticky tape and it is a very long process.

The two Allendale quilts do not have to be posted - they will be taken up to Birmingham on the 18th and hung on the Wednesday afternoon, but I still have to make and sew the sleeves for the two quilts. They have also been given the defurring treatment - cat hair gets everywhere...

8 comments:

  1. It is very pretty. I love the red. I live in the U.S. if do need more let me know. I can always see if it still available here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful quilt which is spectacular in the red and white. Sorry I wont be in the UK this year to see it hang at the Festival of Quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous quilt Pippa I shall look forward to seeing it in the flesh at the NEC.
    Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just beautiful. Oh I love these type of quilts. I have always wanted to make an Hawaiian quilt. REd and white quilts this graphic just make me happy!
    I am so happy that you had enough fabric.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning quilt! A beautiful Hawaiian design and quilting-and the red and white is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful and what a gorgeous shade of red you chose. A truly beautiful piece - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I've made several Hawaiian quilts, but wanting to make a red/creame one next. Love yours.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt and your hand quilting is just gorgeous :) Is there a way to sign up to receive your blog posts via email?

    ReplyDelete