Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 14 August 2012

Ringers' Wedding at St Mary's,Woodbridge

On Saturday, Mike and I were invited to the wedding of two of our ringers, Ruth Eagle and Richard Munnings. Luckily, it was a beautiful sunny day for the wedding! In the morning, we rang an quarter at our own tower, St. Mary's, Pettistree.
Then at 12.30 it was off to St Mary's in Woodbridge. This is a much larger church and has a heavy ring of eight bells. Nearby is the Abbey School, where my son Tom attended school many years ago!
Needless to say, there was a lot of bellringing both before and after the wedding ceremony. Richard even came up to the ringing chamber before hand - here he is (on the left) ringing the seventh to a half course of Yorkshire major.


Ruth looked very fetching in her beaded dress, white with purple accents.

Of course, my present was a quilt. Since Richy is a "Tractor Boy" fan (aka Ipswich Town Football Club) the main colours had to be blue and white. This is a quick quilt that uses the technique known as Mary's triangles.

 On Sunday, I went to London to visit my daughter Sophie; we went to see the V &A exhibition on Ballgowns. I also enjoyed seeing the collection of clothing and dresses.

The Olympic marathon was proving very popular that day, as it was taking place at the Embankment, and was one of the few events that did not require tickets (a very scarce commodity). My train ran right beside the Olympic stadium...it was good to see the volunteers dotted around London helping tourists and visitors. One of Sophie's friends from school gave up two weeks of his holidays and spent the time driving athletes and officials around town! I am relieved that the Olympics went off well and seems to have been a good success.

Other news - this blog has now had over 100,000 views - many thanks to all. And. I will be going to visit my mother in Gainesville Florida for a week from 18 September - so if there are any quilt enthusiasts there I would be pleased to hear from you. I hope to take in the Jacksonville Quiltfest while I am there!

1 comment:

  1. I think England did an amazing job hosting the games, hats off to your fellow Brits, it was so great to see so many views of the area. And the closing ceremonies was spectacular, what a huge undertaking! Job well done. Travel safe to the US.

    ReplyDelete