Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Thursday 23 August 2012

Festival of Quilts 2012 - 2

A few of the winning quilts from Festival of Quilts 2012. A new feature this year was a "winners' wall" which seemed very popular although there were some grumbles that the quilts had been separated from their classes.


This quilt won the best group quilt and later the best in show. It is made by The Group with No Name and is called The Quilters Games. It shows Sunbonnet Sue at the 2012 Olympic Games. A popular choice, but not with all, one lady came up to our stand to say that it was disgusting and what would the world think? Most people were amused and of course the quilt was timely. The group members were very pleased at the win and were full of plans for next year - last year they made the very popular Meerkat group quilt.


Winner pictorial - a quilt by Janneke de Vries Bodzinga called Graceful Dance. This lady won Best in Show last year.....sorry that the image is not cropped, I am using a laptop which does not have the same software as my large computer.


Detail of above quilt, to show the fabulous quilting and piecing...


...and another detail....impressive quilt...


..and here is a photo of Ferret wearing her Phoenix coat. I had meant to photograph her  Greek Fossils wholecloth quilt, but there were simply too many people looking at it. Lovely use of different coloured threads on the longarm machine.

My photos show mostly Traditional and Contemporary quilts, for a look at art quilts and many other quilts that I did not photograph, take a look at Rosa Munda's excellent slide show of Festival quilts:

http://rosa-munda.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/festival-of-quilts-2012.html

More photos to come.

1 comment:

  1. Great to catch up with you there! Nice to see your photo of the BQSG stand with your quilts hanging - I forgot to take one. Thanks for the link to Rosa's slideshow - what a lot of lovely pictures. I will email you my photos of Ferret's quilt later on today. Liz

    ReplyDelete