Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 7 November 2021

Washing a Quilt

I thought that it might be good to show photos of a quilt being washed. Remember, washing is irreversible….you can’t “ unwet” a quilt! So assess it first, fragile quilts or fabrics liable to bleed should not be washed. Luckily, these Durham and Welsh wholecloths are very sturdy and have probably been washed many times before.

First, lukewarm water in the bathtub with a small amount of a special detergent like Synthrapol or Metaplex. Agitate the quilt….leave to soak….


The first lot of water …..lots of dust, dirt and some degradation products….


Let the water drain out. You can gently press and lift the quilt, but do not wring….it is very heavy now that it is wet, and heavy handling could cause damage to quilting or seams.


A second and then a third rinse with clean, lukewarm water. This is to get rid of any traces of the detergent. Let the water drain away as much as possible. 


Gently place the quilt in a container ( some people use a sheet to lift the quilt).


Next, the quilt goes into the clothes washer for a slow spin to get rid of excess water….


 Finally, I place the damp quilt on a drying frame…here, I used my quilting frame. Turn regularly….until dry…..the quilt should be much cleaner and also smell fresher.

No comments:

Post a Comment