Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Saturday 30 January 2021

Durham Cot Quilt from South Shields


A cot quilt from South Shields, this is a true cot quilt and not cut down, as can be told from the quilting patterns and the edge treatment.


 The back is rather faded, these items were often left folded on shelves! Probably made from fabric remnants, as both the back and front are pieced.

The quilting patterns are fans  and a worm pattern ( I hope that is the right name!)

I love these baby quilts, the small size requires a little bit of planning due to the small size, but here it looks as if the quilter just used templates for larger quilts that she had to hand. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this sweet little quilt. They were made to be used and with whatever fabric was to hand as money was probably tight.
    Just been to Bowes Museum where there's a lovely exhibition of North Country Quilts. Will have to go back again and maybe buy the book and the Sanderson Star pattern for a cushion!

    ReplyDelete