Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 23 September 2020

Garden during lockdown and Beth Chatto

As I have until recently worked full time, I never had time to tend the garden as I would have liked to. However, lockdown gave me the opportunity to devote significant time to clearing the garden in Melton. I spent part of each morning hand weeding and clearing. I had to have two enormous amounts of brush and plant matter taken away. My object is to eventually make a cheerful cottage garden.
We will have to see what survives the winter. As it was so dry, watering was required for the new plants.


Hydrangeas are a favourite.


These plants should fill out soon.


I am reserving some space for some ground cover roses which will arrive bare root in the next month or two.


Salvias...


Cyclamens, these were transplanted from the Wickham house, where they were getting lost....


Reminds me of New Jersey - goldenrod, scourge of hay fever sufferers everywhere...


                                                                          Scabious

A foxglove, Digitalis cultivar, I need to buy more of these for the shady corners..

Two weeks ago I made a trip down the A12 to the Beth Chatto gardens near Colchester. We have often driven past but this is the first time I had been. Surprisingly busy given that Covid was still around....


The famous gravel garden which is full of Mediterranean drought tolerant plants. Formerly a carpark, it is never watered.

 East Anglia is a very dry part of the country, and Elmstead Market is very near St Osyth which is officially the driest part of England. It only receives 20 inches of rain per year on average. The nursery is noted for selling plants for dry areas, also shade and damp areas.  All the plants are grown onsite in their nursery.

1 comment:

  1. That chart looks positively soaking to me! But then I live in Southern California where it is more like, "March 2.1. April 0. May 0. June 0, July 0," etc. etc. etc. Best wishes for your garden! I came by to look at Welsh quilts, interested to explore some of my heritage and do handcrafts at the same time ...

    ReplyDelete