Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 16 September 2019

Lavender and Black Hawick Quilt


Yes, another Hawick quilt, this time one from Hawick itself. This quilt was bought in an antique shop in the town many years ago.

This quilt is very similar to other quilts, with the same wooden templates being used, although in a different arrangement.


The centre is a daisey (gowan) surrounded by a circle of the spikey heart motif


The strangely stumpy thistle is present too. Also seen are the scale fillers and the yinyan motif.

 
Black seems an unusual colour for a quilt but the Quilters Guild collection has one in black and pink.


The reverse. The lavender side is faded, so must have been the side that was used most.


These quilts were made as church fund raisers and there is an interesting article about them in Quilt Studies. As group quilts, they are not especially well made, the stitches are rather large as are the motifs. Still they are rather charming!

No comments:

Post a Comment