Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 28 November 2018

More Hawaiian Quilts

As you know, I really enjoy working on these large pieces of applique. I still have one in the frame, that I must start work on again - it was forgotten about, during the heat of this summer.
 
I also have others in the pipe line -
 

This is a pattern called Carnation - it is a wide dark pink backing material on a mid pink Kona cotton background.

Here is Kuuipo - it is about 2/3 done. There is still the reverse applique of the hearts to do, I decided to leave those until last.


I also ordered some more fabrics. I have ordered a pattern from Hawaii (there will be customs to pay!) In one of the books, which covers an exhibition of Hawaiian quilts, there are two quilts in this orang and purple colour scheme, which is a striking one. I have chosen Papaya and Berry - the colour chart for Kona can be seen. Perhaps if the pattern arrives, I can get this cut and basted over Christmas. It definitely is a longer job, especially the laying out and basting. The cats don't help either.


...and finally, what I did with the jelly rolls that I bought at FOQ. This Spiral Quilt pattern by Crafty Quilter was published in one of the quilting magazines. I changed the black background for a Kona colour called Ocean Blue, which I think is more attractive. The pattern looked deceptively simple - however, the jelly roll strips were pinked and it took a while to discover where the seam line should lie. With this pattern, precision is very important - so my machine piecing did improve as I went along. So, the first blocks were not as good as the last ones! A 4 inch border was added after this photo was taken, and the quilt was not perfectly square - but really done for fun and not exhibition.
I have not decided how to quilt this - although I swore never to do that, I might get it longarmed as it really just needs straight line quilting, which easily puckers on the domestic sewing machine...

3 comments:

  1. This project looks great. Congratulations on a very good job. Thanks for sharing photos. Of course, I am asking for more sharing of such wonderful works.
    Regards, ctnbee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked you up again, hope all is well with you! No new blog posts, so I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still here, are you using an old bookmark? I am still making Hawaiians!

      Delete