Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 23 May 2018

Recent Progress on Quilts

Just a short report on recent progress with the quilts....the Sanderson Star is mostly finished, with only the knife edge binding and the sleeve left to do. Doubtless that will get done before the FOQ in August!
 

A photo of the quilt....it's a fairly big quilt.

 
I did finish the centre of the quilt - I had not marked it earlier as I was undecided as to what to put there. In the end, I went with something simpler by omitting some of the outlining seen in the original. I think that it looks more dramatic this way.
 
 
Work on the knife edge - with all those layers of fabric, it is rather hard going to make small stitches.
 

I am making good progress with Kikui Nut, the green and white top. It has gone, in its blue Ikea bag, to several bellringing striking contests, where there is, inevitably, a lot of sitting around.The batik is easy to work with and turn under.

I have also started quilting the red and white Hawaiian, Ipu Kukui. I am using a wool/poly blend and I don't think that I will ever use this again, it is not nice to needle in the way that pure wool is. So, a false economy there!

I had some good news this past week. I sent Lei Momi (String of Pearls) off to Malvern, where it won the Best Hand Applique award. I will show photos in my next post.

I was out and about in May. I went to Chigwell to give a talk to the Roding Quilters. Then, to a Regional Day in Sevenoaks for another talk. A nice stay with quilter Sarah A. and fortunately no traffic holdups on the M25! Finally, a talk to a group in nearby Brantham. All the talks seemed to be enjoyed and I had a good time showing my various quilts. Now, no more talks until September, although there is the Traditonal Quilt Group retreat at Grantham the last week of June. I will not be taking a workshop, but will take my own hand applique and be a room helper to Shirley Bloomfield's class. The other tutors are Lynne Edwards and Carolyn Gibbs. As group treasurer, there has been a fair amount of work to organise this event.

No comments:

Post a Comment