Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 22 January 2018

Progress report - January 2018

I was able to achieve quite a lot over the holiday period in December ( my firm takes a long break over Christmas). One task was to baste my red and white Sanderson Star, ready for hand quilting. I  had used a feint mechanical pencil to mark in the light areas and a water erasable blue marker for the red areas.
 

Just to check that the blue will actually come out! It does....
I have traced the quilting designs from an antique "stamped" quilt top, so the markings are as close to the original as I could get...


I have bought two oak thread holders from Ebay - and these not only look good, but save a lot of time. It is easy to snip off new lengths of thread when I need them.

 
And the progress on the Sanderson Star is good - the centre and the first border complete. The stamper did not mark the twist completely - I will have to decide whether to go for one central line (as suggested in one or two of them) or go for three strands (ie two extra lines of quilting). I will look at other examples to see what was standard for this design and then do the same. I don't have to decide right away.
 
 
I also wanted to set up two more Hawaiian applique quilts. Cutting and then unfolding and basting the applique is always a difficult job. But, I had bought suitable extra wide fabric at the FOQ for the applique fabric and backing. This design is dark blue on a mid blue background fabric. There will be some reverse applique to do, but I will mark that in later, using the original pattern.


And here is a green print batik on a natural back ground, I do hope that the batik behaves itself!! This pattern is called Kiku Nut. Both of the patterns seen here are from the traditonal range at Poakalani in Hawaii.

This should keep me busy for a while...

1 comment:

  1. Those thread holders are fabulous! I went on ebay to see if I could find anything like those and nothing so far. No longer will you have to chase your spools all over the table or floors!

    ReplyDelete