Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Thursday 9 November 2017

Turkey Red Wholecloth Quilt from Wales

Here is a Welsh wholecloth quilt in a Turkey red paisley fabric. This fabric was produced in the Vale of Leven, Scotland and is very colourful when unused and unfaded, as here.
 

There is some nice quilting here, but it is very difficult to see! The patterns are in the usual Welsh format...with a central coin of beech leaves and various borders.


You can probably see here that there is a four lobed design, nicely quilted.

There are also some chevron or wave patterns....


The whole quilt has a cheerful aspect and I do like these paisley quilts, which are getting much more difficult to find these days. Red was considered to be a warming, healthy colour.


A nice texture is created by the quilting stitches, even if the patterns are difficult to spot.




The hand sewn knife edge, traditional with Welsh quilts.

The fabrics are bright and unfaded, and the quilt seems never to have been used....with the Turkey red fabrics, the yellow, green and blue fade with use, so that eventually only the red and white remain in a well used quilt.

No information on this quilt....size is 190 x 194 mm or about 75 x 76 inches.

1 comment:

  1. You teach me so much about Welsh quilts. Thank you xoxo

    ReplyDelete