Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 20 November 2017

BQSG Seminar - Harris Museum Visit, October 2017

Our BQSG seminar took place in Preston this year, with the museum visit being the Harris Museum in Preston.
 

The museum has received various items of textiles, always with a local connection...the maker of this quilt must have had access to a variety of ribbons, as there are practically no repeats to be seen...


An appliqued item, perhaps a table cover, well used but expertly made....


This was similar to a soldiers quilt,and has the words Leisure Hours at the top. But the motifs have a distictly naval or maritime flavour. So perhaps sailors made this in their spare hours, or in a hospital while recuperating?

The patches are oversewn from the back, similar to soldiers quilts.


All of the squares are nicely embroidered. Most of the items have scant information for the provenance.


A padded petticoat in Turkey Red cloth...

A detail of the cloth...
 
The label - Booth and Fox's down skirt..
 

A bonnet, typical of the mill girls bonnets from the latter part of the 19th Century... very nicely made...

A lovely baby's bonnet....


Small baby's booties, quilted....

Tea cosy in needlepoint...

All the items shown to us were donated to the museum by local people. Many do not have any provenance, however.....

No comments:

Post a Comment