Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 13 March 2017

Tan and Cream Strippy from Evenwood

Another strippy quilt, not very expensive and rather worn at one end! Yet, I was interested as the quilting designs stood out and were attractive. Also, the seller was from Spennymoor....Dorothy Osler recently organised a group of BQSG members to look into the Spennymoor quilters visited by Muriel Rose and Mrs FitzRandolph. I thought this might have a link.....as it turned out, this quilt is not from Spennymoor, it is from Evenwood which is a mining village Southwest of Bishop Aukland.


The quilt is made from tan and cream strips....


The designs are a four lobed design and a running feather....


I noticed something unusual about the running feather...


Although nicely quilted, the plumes do not all point forward...it is "wrong" in that the plumes point forward and backward....not the usual! All the tan strips are quilted with this pattern. The reverse is a faded floral sateen.

This quilt was one of several made by Edith Wilkinson, mother of three. Born in 1888, she lived most of her life in Evenwood. A miner's daughter, she also married a miner. She lived just short of 100 years.

The quilt measures 76 x 90 inches. 6" of one end is very worn where no doubt, it was tucked under the bed springs. I wont trim this off....

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting feather pattern. I've never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete