Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Thursday 23 March 2017

Striped Norwich Shawl

I am really enamoured of this shawl - I don't know much about shawls - but - this has some lovely colour combinations. What skill to weave this..


This seems to be the right side - bands of blue alternate with a sinuous band in mossy greens and rust.


The reverse has a striking magenta colour with darker shades of green - very sophisticated.



You can see how intricate the patterns are!


Shawls fell out of favour in the 1870's, so most of these have been languishing in trunks and lofts for over 100 years - many are not is very good condition - but still lovely. The best are wool or wool silk mixtures so subject to moth attack....


These shawls were used as wraps (coats) over the larger dresses popular at the time.
One can only imagine the social events and concerts that these attended!



The shawls are often very large and were meant to be folded and draped about the woman's shoulders. I am trying to learn more, but unlike quilts, there are few books to read on the subject.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful patterns & colours. Certainly look very large, but I suppose in the colder weather & back in the times of no ducted heating or heated transport, one would have to wear many layers to keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely shawl, does it have a label?

    ReplyDelete