Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Thursday 20 June 2013

Pillow with Backstitching

Here is another small vintage item, a cushion that is quilted with a backstitch.

The colour is a golden beige colour, which did not photograph very well.....The item was probably made for a class.....and never made up or used, just put away. The design is an oblong feather wreath with a scalloped border.
The stitching is very neat, and you can see how time consuming this method is.....
the basting threads are still in place..

Close-up of the stitching...



...there is no backing as this was intended as a cushion cover - you can see that the wadding is a fine wool, called domette...

This item came from a house clearance and no information was available...probably another example of the work done in the popular sewing classes held after the war, when small items were made for use around the house.

2 comments:

  1. Pippa, is the cushion cover made of sateen? It looks so shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it is backstitched. It looks like machine stitching to me in the third photo. I am not saying you are incorrect. The stitching is extremely even. Neat find

    ReplyDelete