Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 29 May 2013

Malvern Quilt Show and a Bank Holiday

I am  pleased to say that my purple and cream Hawaiian quilt, Piilani, won the trophy for Hand Applique at Quilts UK, Malvern. As I wasn't able to drive over to Malvern (quite a long drive from Suffolk) I was pleased that Karin Hellaby from Quilters Haven was able to receive the cup for me.


I had this cup two years ago for my red and white Hawaiian quilt.....


The quilt looked very good......it hsn't arrived back in the post yet...always a nervous time....I prefer to pick them up myself, as at the Festival of Quilts...

This weekend saw the 70th aniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic, and there were a number of remembrance services in East Anglia. East Anglia was dotted with airbases during WWII, and many had a fly past by the Eagle Squadron based at Duxford near Cambridge. I believe they took off at about 11.30, then first call was the Memorial Day service at Maddingly American Cemetary near Cambridge. From there they took a course north towards Lowestoft and Halesworth, before turning south. They flew over Melton at 1.10 on their way to Martlesham Heath. Back to Duxford at about 1.30. Its amazing that these aircraft are still airworthy and exciting to have them fly overhead. There was a Sptifire, a p45 Mustang and another fighter...

..and also the B17 Sally B came across as well, about 10 minutes earlier...

Another event on the Bank Holiday Monday was a concert in Pettistree Church by the violinist Thomas Bowes. He has decided to do a pilgramage where no fees are charged and funds can be raised by the venue, mostly churches and other religious buildings.He is doing 50 concerts in 60 days, with the same music. In this case, the proceeds will be split by Pettistree Church redecoration fund and Ipswich Street Pastors, volunteers who ensure that youngsters out on the town are safe at night.

Here is Tom with one of our ringers Bill Lloyd. Tom was playing his 1649 Amati violin and played three Bach pieces. As usual the bellringers, who made up a sizeable part of the audience, went to the pub next door afterwards. Tom joined us and he is not only a superb musician, but  a thoroughly nice chap. We tried hard to persuade him to attend a bellringing practice soon to see what it is all about...

 I have finished the little quilt for Laura and Lawrence's wedding...Snowy gave it her seal of approval, and it has been put away now....
I decided to use one of the repro Turkey Red fabrics for the binding, as it looked cheerful...

As you can see, the example in the magazine was very simply quilted, but I decided to add more diagonal quilting; not sure if it has improved things but it certainly looks more traditional by doing so. A very easy pattern which I might use again. I liked the Cathedral windows blocks...

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, that is so great! I cannot even imagine all the work put into appliqueing a Hawaiian Quilt!
    Will it be on show in Birmingham as well? If so, I'll make sure to look it up and have a closer look!

    ReplyDelete