Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Thursday 16 May 2013

Another Red Paisley Welsh Quilt...



Yes, I have quite a soft spot for these red paisley quilts...the fabrics are so lively and warm...I also know that the process to make Turkey Red was a complex one. I'm not sure that it is possible to buy true Turkey Red any more .... and that certainly most of the repro fabrics look nothing like the original colour, which is a bright red.

This quilt was made for a bride's bottom drawer and seems never to have been used, as it is unworn and the colours are bright and unfaded. It seems to have a worn blanket as it filling, and the quilting is correspondingly coarse. But, the general Welsh format is still followed, as there are borders and a circular central "coin".


The borders have a large diamond quilting pattern...


...and the centre has a circular pattern. I may try to trace this to see what it looks like...it is hard to see, given the background patterns of the fabric.


Two different paisleys fabrics are used....more quilting. This is done in a heavy thread (in yellow and also red) which is almost like an upholstery thread.


Snowy, trying to get in on the act...


The top has this pattern, unfaded with plenty of yellow, green and blue. Although the Turkey Red stands up well to time and wear, the other colours do fade, and eventually just red white and a bit of yellow are left....its nice to be reminded just how colourful the fabrics originally were....

The reverse fabric is a darker red with a large "pod" or paisley pattern. Again, lots of colour here.

This quilt dates from before 1900. It belonged to the seller's grandmother, Blodwen Stephens, maiden name Morgan.She lived all her life in and around Llanelli. This area had many professional quilters, so Blodwen probably didn't make it herself. What a lovely quilt!

4 comments:

  1. The fabric is wonderful - love the red and poison green in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto--those fabrics are great--I'd love to have some of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that fabric is amazing I would love to own bolts of each one!
    thanks for sharing .
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. btw I was in Princeton last week and thought of you!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete