Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Saturday 20 November 2010

White Cot Quilt

Here is another cot quilt - rather traditionally quilted but later in date than the other two I have shown earlier. The size is 31 x 48 inches and it is not made of cotton fabric, but an artifial fibre. The pattern is a large daisy in the centre and similar fans in the corners with an all-over wineglass filler pattern.


The stitching is neat and the edge is a sewn knife edge. The filling seems to be natural, a thin cotton wadding. The quilt comes from the Whitley Bay area of Northumberland.
The fabric is a man-made one - these were well liked for their hard wearing qualities. The first totally artifical fibre, Nylon, was developed in 1938 but did not appear on the market until after WWII. Rayon, or artifical silk, was popular from the 1930s to the 1950's and was made of cellulose, the natural compound. Acetate is a version of rayon.

I imagine that this quilt dates from the 40s or 50s but it would be nice to identify the fibre more precisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment