Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 5 March 2019

Woodbridge Tide Mill

From September 2018, I have had a new accounts job - administrator at Woodbridge Tide Mill.
This working mill is one of only two Grade 1 listed buildings in Woodbridge - the other is St Marys Church on the marketplace. It is one of only two working tide mills in Britain - the other is in Pembroke, Wales.


The Tide Mill is now a "living museum", with milling demonstrations taking place when the tides allow. The present mill pond is much smaller than the original - this was sold off separately and is now a boat marina. The new smaller mill pond only holds enough water to turn the mill wheel for about thirty minutes.


Flour is available in two grades - Strong, for bread making, and fine for cakes and pastry.
The flour is sold to visitors and also to local bakeries and supermarkets, all made with locally grown wheat.


The original machinery is still in use.



As administrator, I do the bookkeeping, pay expenses and wages, and also take minutes at management meetings. Its quite a change from my other bookkeeping jobs!

2 comments:

  1. It may be different but how COOL!!! What fun to be involved with this mill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome!!! You are lucky to work someplace historical.

    ReplyDelete