Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Thursday 1 March 2018

A Norwich Shawl in Pinks and Browns

Here is an antique shawl in muted pinks and browns with a pink fringe. It is the same as one illustrated in the book Norwich Shawls, so we can safely say that it is a Norwich shawl by Clabburn.

Item 56 on page 93: Jacquard Zebra Shawl 1860s by Clabburn Sons & Crisp. "The horizontal stripe unit in this shawl is 14cm and is made up of two patterns. They include circles and serpentine motifs with almost indistinguishable tiny pines scattered through. The shawl is very faded giving an attractive pink/brown effect." 


These shawls were known as zebra shawls and were produced about 1860-1870, at the end of the shawls' popularity. Perhaps this is why these are found in better condition, they were discarded and not worn when fashions changed almost overnight.


These shawls were woven on looms and were an expensive purchase. They were made from silk or silk and wool mixtures, so were worn for special occasions - not everyday...


I love the muted colors and the intricate designs...


In comparison to quilts, there are only a few books about antique shawls - here we see that catalogue for the exhibition of Norwich shawls held at Norwich cathedral held last year, and also a book put out by Norwich Museum Services...it would be nice to know more....and perhaps I should book a visit to Norwich to meet the shawl/textile experts there....

1 comment:

  1. The coloration is both muted by the grey, and yet vivid at close range. It's just beautiful! I would like to know more. Please share if you do make the trip.

    ReplyDelete