Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 20 October 2017

Patchwork Cot Quilt from Cumbria

Here is a small patchwork cot quilt from Cumbria. It is not quilted, but contains some nice everyday fabrics. Many are repeated, so are probably recycled dresses and clothes fabrics.
 
 
The pattern is a simple one, with a centre of white cotton and turkey red squares. The turkey red fabric was more precious and colourful, and was therefor placed in the centre.
 


The other fabrics are repeated several times in varous places. The whole is hand sewn.


These fabrics probably date from 1875 to 1900, but it is always difficult to tell exactly. The purples were not available until 1860. Sometimes known as "half mourning" fabrics, these were also condsidered suitable for everyday house dresses and servants dresses.


Most of the fabrics are roller prints.


The reverse is a white plain weave cotton. this quilt came from an old trunk in a South Lakes attic, from the Miller  and Posnet families. The size is 25 x 33 inches.

No comments:

Post a Comment