Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 21 February 2017

Pink and White Cumbrian Strippy with Wave Quilting

Here is a Cumbrian strippy in pink and white poplin. The back is of plain white cotton. The main point of interest is the wave quilting, which was traditional in Cumbria, Ireland and the Isle of Man.



I have always been interested to know how these waves were marked! There must be an easy way to do this, such as a cardboard triangle as a template? Or was it just eyeballed?


This quilt has seen better days and is worn at the ends - other than that, in good condition. The fabric is much sturdier than modern fabric.....


It might be that the quilter used the stripes as a guide for the wave quilting design?


...as the points of the waves do coincide with the middle and edges of the strips...



The reverse of the quilt.


The edge is machine sewn. This quilt measures 210 x 210 cm or about 83 x 83 inches square.
The seller said 1940s or 1950s, but of course it is a bit older than that, as not many quilts were being made post WWII.

The quilt was bought at auction in Penrith, Cumbria by the seller so is a true Cumbrian quilt.
I recently bought another Cumbrian quilt, so I hope to compare the two...

1 comment:

  1. Re marking, would the width correspond to a wooden 12in school ruler? Possibly the most likely proper marking tool anyone would have had access to. I've wondered how they were marked too.

    ReplyDelete