Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 8 January 2017

Sage and Orange Welsh Quilt

Here is a typical Welsh quilt in cotton sateen. The colours are very attractive in a faded, muted sort of way ....a faded blue green and an orange colour. I wonder what they looked like when new!


The centre is a bit unusual...no centre "coin" here - it is a diamond with crosshatching - and a heart with spirals in each corner next to that....


The single border has a leaf and spirals in each corner, and the rest is simple but effective crosshatch and that X block......

Another photo of the centre...



The hearts are very attractive...


At first, I thought that there were "pennies" or circles in the border.....but it is a simple twist...


But you can see that it was probably marked with an old fashioned penny, as the shape fits almost exactly....


There are also some small propeller shapes - the quilters liked these devices to fill up any empty spaces.


The photos did not come out very well - the colours although muted are a lot more vivid than these photos show.


This quilt measures 69 x 77". By chance, it came from a clearance of a house not far from me, in Laxfield Suffolk. The seller wrote - "All the quilts came from my cousin. He was a very flamboyant man who had a house literally crammed to the rafters with antiques. He rarely used anything new. He drank from Georgian glassware and ate off antique plates. Sadly he lost his battle with cancer earlier this year. The auctioneer didn't want to take the quilts so I put them here. I don't think that he bought much at auction. He liked antique markets and shops, but who knows. How he ever fitted so much stuff into his small house is beyond me."

No comments:

Post a Comment