Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 10 October 2016

Red and White Welsh Cot Quilt


Here is a cute baby/cot quilt. It is Welsh as it comes from Cardigan, but there are few obvious clues to its origin. As is usual with these small quilts, the design is very simple and the quilting just enough to hold it together.


Many of the patches are what the Americans call "poverty patches"; ie where two or three smaller pieces have been sewn together to make a larger piece.


Nearly but not quite the same cloth !


There are small roller printed cottons teamed with turkey red. Even where the fabrics are similar, some have faded more than others...here, one fabric has the background visible while in the other fabric the background has faded...


This quilt has been well used and I can just imagine it being made by a mother or grandmother for a newborn....


The quilting is more apparent from the back, which is in plain white cotton......it must have been quilted from this side....


Cot quilts while not rare, seem to be not so common, as often they were " used up". Few are in pristine   condition. The size is 25" square and the little quilt probably dates from the turn of the century.

3 comments:

  1. Very cute in it's simplicity. Thank you for sharing the close up photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pippa, Has the top been put on top of an older quilt? There seems to be much more quilting on the back with lots of curves which from the photos don't seem to appear on the front patchwork. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I look at the picture of the reversed side, I see waves quilted that I don't see in the front. Is it possible that there is another quilt in between?

    ReplyDelete