Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 31 May 2016

Applique Pots of Flowers Top

Here is an unfinished quilt top - it is very large at 90 x 104 ". Perhaps it just grew and grew, as many tops do, and then was never finished off!


The quilt top is made of applique flowers set with plain blocks. The fabrics are a mixture of prints and plains, and have a perky charm to them.


Narrow green borders are seen together with smaller flowers and leaves.

The cats had a look......


It looks a bit rumpled, but nothing that won't "quilt out"....


Pink flowers....

Blue flowers...

Purple flowers...
Even green flowers...but all have similar colour pots....

The rather pastel colours remind me of 30's colour schemes - especially that green colour, which at one time was very popular. This quilt top has been made solely by hand - even the long borders are sewn by hand, not by machine. The seller was located outside Edinburgh, and this top came to them with other linen; nothing more is known about it. So it could be British or it could be North American.....there was much cross over, both amongst patterns and also quilters, so it is difficult to be certain where it originally came from. A very jolly sort of pattern!

1 comment:

  1. I love the simplicity of this quilt and know all about "carrying on" - mindlessly?! - with a quilt top not realizing how huge it was getting, but mine are just simple hand-made hexi quilts for family. This one has given me an idea for left-over hexi's though!

    ReplyDelete