Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 5 October 2015

Trip to Genoa

In September, Mike and I went to Genoa in Italy, where we stayed with our friend Cristina. I've known her for some time, from my Suffolk College Days.....


The best way for us to get there is Ryan Air, from Stanstead. Of course the runway extends out into the ocean at Genoa, so an exciting landing!




Genoa is a port, and the old city and docks are very popular with tourists. The round dome is a biosphere, with fauna and flora from Madagascar.


 There are many lovely churches - this one is the Merchants Bank..

There are many large yachts in the post area..

The symbol of Genoa is the"Lantern" a large beacon. We walked up to it one day, but it is closed as it is run by volunteers and usually only open at weekends.

Here is the Cathedral of Genoa, in the typical black and white style. Beautiful interior...

O f course Genoa is famous for its food and especially the pesto sauce....this restaurant at 21 Cavour had won a prize for its pesto...lovely....the deserts were just right too....not overly sweet but very delicious...


We also went to the beach for two days - easily accessible by train - this village is called Camogli..

The boat basin at Camogli.....Very nice foccaccia for lunch here, a local speciality.

We also spent a day at Sestri Levante, which has two beaches, an ocean one and one in the calmer enclosed bay...


Another photo of Sestri Levante, showing the sheltered bay with the church on the left

And below, an evening spent at Castellato, accessible by a Victorian elevator, where you could get a good view of the port. The larger ships are cruise ships and ferry boats that go to Corsica and Sardinia. The weather was sunny and warm for our entire stay....we'll be visiting again, I'm sure. Thanks, Cristina!

2 comments: