Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 1 March 2015

Pink and Cream Welsh Quilt from Treorchy

Here is a Welsh quilt which came from a house clearance...it measures 200 x 200 cm or about 79" square. It is cream on one side and a darker pink on the other, in cotton sateen.


 This quilt has some very nice Welsh patterns....you can see leaves, spirals, hearts and paisley pears...the quilting stands out well due to the woollen wadding....


The centre has a circular "coin"...a spiral surrounded by four leaves...


The patterns are very pleasing....the edges are hand sewn in the Welsh manner...


Here you can see the contrast in the two sides...


The cream side...and below, the pink side. This quilt has some fold marks on the darker side,not uncommon, due to fabrics fading where the sunlight hits the folds in storage. This quilt came from a house clearance of an uncle in Treorchy, Rhondda. The  quilt came from his mother; mother's name was Phyllis Davies.... The family is not sure who made the quilt, but it had been in the family for a long time.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful!
    I really love it

    Greetings from Germany
    Marle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt. The design is really fun to look at. I keep finding new things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely example of a whole cloth quilt and the color is perfect! I love pink. and what a find for you. Beautiful designs!

    ReplyDelete